Dear Neighbors and Business Owners and Employees:
This is a reminder to all residents and businesses, that in order to protect the public health, safety and welfare – both of your own safety, and the safety of everyone else who uses our sidewalks, which includes school children, mothers with strollers, dog walkers, and the elderly – all residents, property owners and/or business owners are responsible to clear all snow and spread an ice-melting material over any icy areas on your sidewalks and walking surfaces.
Please note the following provisions of the Village Code that apply:
Chapter 296. STREETS AND SIDEWALKS
§ 296-1. Removal of snow, ice and other materials.
- Any owner, lessee, tenant, occupant or other person having charge of any building or vacant lot of ground within the village limits abutting upon any street where the sidewalk is paved shall, within two hours after snow ceases to fall or after the deposit of any dirt or other material upon said sidewalk, remove the snow or ice, dirt or other material from the sidewalk and gutter, the time between 9:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. not being included in the above period of two hours.
- In case the snow and ice on the sidewalk shall be frozen so hard that it cannot be removed without injury to the pavement, the owner, lessee, tenant, occupant or other person having charge of any building or vacant lot may, within the time specified in the Subsection A above, cause the sidewalk abutting said premises to be strewn with ashes, sand, salt, sawdust or other similar suitable material and shall, as soon thereafter as the weather shall permit, thoroughly clean said sidewalk.
- The owners, tenants, lessees, occupants or persons in charge of buildings adjacent to public sidewalks shall take any action necessary to prevent the falling of snow, ice and water from such buildings onto said public sidewalks.
- No person or entity shall deposit, plow, throw or place, nor shall any person or entity cause to be deposited, plowed, thrown, placed or strewn, any snow or ice upon any street or sidewalk within the Village so as to create a hazard for pedestrians or vehicles.
- No person or entity shall pile, gather up, plow up or in any way force any snow or ice upon any land within six feet of any street, highway or roadway in such a manner as to cause the height of the snow and ice so piled, gathered, plowed or forced to exceed three feet six inches in height above the existing natural grade, and no snow or ice shall be piled so as to cover or prevent access to a fire hydrant.
§ 296-16. Penalties for offenses.
Any person violating any of the provisions of this article shall be punishable, upon conviction thereof, by a fine not exceeding $250 in addition to the actual village remedial costs, if any, or imprisonment not exceeding 15 days, or both.
We thank you for your cooperation and consideration to help keep everyone in our Village safe, and prevent injuries.