The Village of Mamaroneck was incorporated in 1895. Residents on either side of the Mamaroneck River realized that the growing community needed services to develop from a rural farming community to a healthy commercial village. In 1890, they realized a new village must be incorporated joining the two areas surrounding the River. The problem with incorporating a new village was that the residents lived in two towns, the Town of Mamaroneck and the Town of Rye. The area, located in the Town of Rye, is known as Rye Neck.
Slowly the new Village came into its own, its population growing from about 1,500 in 1895, when it was a small farming community, to just under 19,000 for the 2000 census. Today the Village is primarily a residential community on Long Island Sound with a major inland harbor and facilities to build and service pleasure boating. Mamaroneck Avenue and Boston Post Road are the main commercial areas. A light industrial area is located along Fenimore Road. The Village comprises 6.7 sq. miles of area of which 3.5 miles are lands under water, approximately 9 miles of coastline, and 55 miles of roads (about 120 lane-miles of roads), including State and County owned roads. The Village operates under a Council-Manager form of government, where the elected Mayor and Trustees basically set policy and the Manager oversees the
day to day operations of the Village.
The Village is home to distinct residential neighborhoods, each with its own characteristic. Along the Sound, there is Shore Acres, Greenhaven and Orienta, all places previously owned by wealthy families from New York City as summer residences.
Heathcote Hill is situated on the hill overlooking the harbor, developed since incorporation; The Heights, at the north eastern corner of the Village, developed in the 1920's; Old Rye Neck area, with older homes built in the 1880's along Barry and Melbourne Avenues; further east in Rye Neck, neighborhoods developed in the 1920's and 1930's; first developed before the Civil War, the Washingtonville area, which is also known as “The Flats” because of being surrounded by higher ground.
The railroad first came through the Village in 1848 servicing riders from New York City to Connecticut and is now the New Haven line of MetroNorth.
The enclosed harbor with its beautiful park is a treasure to the community and used by residents to participate in sports or relax and enjoy the view of the harbor and its surroundings. In early May when over 150 Japanese cherry trees are in bloom, the harbor park is at its finest.
Mamaroneck, with its population of people from all over the world, is known as The Friendly Village - A place for all to enjoy living in a community that welcomes different cultures and appreciates their differences.