Important Dates (AT YOUR RESPECTIVE TOWN)
Important Assessment Dates for Towns of Mamaroneck and Rye
- May 1st - Deadline for Exemptions (New and Renewals)
- June 1st - Tentative Assessment Roll
- June 1st to 3rd Tuesday in June - Grievance Period
- 3rd Tuesday in June - Grievance Day
- September 15th - Final Assessment Roll
- October 15th - Deadline to File SCARS and Article 7 Petitions
January 30, 2015
To all real property tax payers in the Village of Mamaroneck
Re: Notice of Termination of Assessing Unit Status – Transfer to the Towns of Mamaroneck and Rye
Dear Property Owner:
For some time now, the Village of Mamaroneck has been coordinating with the New York State Office of Real Property Services, the Town of Mamaroneck and Town of Rye to evaluate the need for the Village of Mamaroneck to continue as an Assessing Unit to assess and set value as the basis for property taxes.
In many villages across New York State and Westchester County, villages have determined it to be an efficiency to terminate as an assessing unit and transfer the service to Towns. The Village of Mamaroneck adopted a local law in September, 2014, which became effective October 8, 2014, to terminate our assessing function. We estimate we will save over one hundred thousand dollars per year by transferring this function to the Towns of Rye and Mamaroneck. The Village will continue to send out tax bills and collect taxes.
Enhancing the value of transferring the assessing responsibility to the Towns is the fact that it has been approximately forty years or more since the Village performed a full valuation of all real property in the Village of Mamaroneck. However, both the Towns of Mamaroneck and Rye have performed property re-valuations and are presently maintaining their real property rolls at full-value.
Based on their laws and Assessing Unit operations, the assessment schedule for both Towns is as follows:
- May 1st – Taxable Status Date. This is also the deadline to submit exemption applications.
- June 1st to 3rd Tuesday in June – Tentative Assessment Roll filed. All notices of change in assessed value are mailed to property owners. This is the filing period for Grievances.
- September 15th – date the Final Assessment Roll is filed.
- September 15th to October 15th – this is the 30-day period in which to appeal decisions from the Boards of Assessment Review.
If you have any future questions about your assessments, please contact the Town of Rye Assessor or the Town of Mamaroneck Assessor. The Village of Mamaroneck will be continuing our role as Tax Receiver.
Very truly yours,
Richard Slingerland, Village Manager